Who We Are
Founded in 1972, Karma is a member-owned, democratically run co-operative. We specialize in organic, local, fair trade and zero waste products. We carry over 400 bulk items, organic produce fresh from dozens of Ontario farms, health supplements and the highest quality, eco-friendly, packaged goods, making Karma a “one-stop” shop for the conscious consumer.
Our aim is to:
- Create a community of actively participating members;
- Foster a healthy connection to the food we eat, the people who grow it, and the other organizations who share our beliefs;
- Co-operatively educate ourselves on environmental issues; and
- Exercise political and economic control over our food by operating a viable co-operative food store.
Learn how to join Karma.
“At Karma, I can shop in a fun environment and choose products that are good for me, the people who produce them, and the environment. On top of this, I get to support a local business that is putting their ‘profits’ into their staff and back into the co-op.”
– Lauren St. Louis, Karma member.
“There are always new things to discover at Karma. [Shopping] becomes a deeper experience, multi-layered. We like asking the staff for advice about things, about the difference in products. We like that they are knowledgeable about the products in the store.”
– Noreen Palley, Karma member.
“There’s lots I love about Karma, but here are two things: On a practical level, I love how Karma does everything it can to reduce packaging, from selling as many items as possible in bulk and encouraging shoppers to bring reusable containers. More intangibly, I love the spirit of Karma and the good feeling you get knowing there is a large community of people trying to make their little corner of the world a little better.”
– Brendan Kennedy, Karma member.